I am finally back in NYC after a much needed trip home to see my Mom and my amazing friends in California. More posts to come with actual details, but here’s a small summary of the past week or so – the first one my friends is a fucking doozy…
1. In which my life is like a fucking movie – I got arrested at the airport on my way to California for a “weapon” in my bag, that was of course not mine. It belonged to my husband, and was in my bag from the move, and I just didn’t see it before I started packing (I KNOW – lesson fucking learned). Obviously, this is a long story…the short of it. I got arrested and I now have a court date to prove I’m just an innocent little girl and very much NOT a terrorist. I wish I was kidding, but this is in fact my life right now. Just when I thought I couldn’t be any more stressed out…fun times.
2. After my traumatic travel experience I went straight to wine country in California and thanks to my Mom and amazing friends managed to have a fabulous time. There was brunch, farmer’s markets, a harvest party, wine tastings, and a wedding. Couldn’t have asked for a better welcome home.
3. The wine country festivities and my entire trip back to California with my amazing Mom was so emotionally restorative that I think I might be moving back there soon. No firm plans yet, but NYC is no longer on an indefinite timeline. Quality of life is better in California and it’s time to go home. There’s also free rent in California (God bless my Mom) which would be extremely helpful right now. But if you know of free rent in France, I could also be persuaded to live there instead…just sayin’.
4. After much time reflecting about my life while in California, I now want to get a PhD…I KNOW. I thought I was done with school too. But I had a lot of time in CA thinking about what makes me happy and the reality is studying culture makes me happy. Specifically studying French vs. American culture, and even more specifically food culture. So if I can build a career where it is literally my job to discuss and write about French and American food and chef cultures, I’m all over it. Now I just need to develop the topic and get someone to let me into their program. Time shall tell…
5. Speaking of chefs and French food, my Mom taught me how to make my dad’s classic French mustard chicken from his old school recipe. I’m going to try it by myself this week…here’s hoping I can carry on the family tradition.
6. I am officially looking for a roommate. If I can’t find a sane person I am actually willing to live with I’m just going to move home now. If I can find a roommate, I’ll be in NYC until August when my lease is up. Once my lease is up, California is calling my name – officially.
7. All this being said, who knows what will happen in the next year and I am open to anything. But I’m a planner. So those are my plans, subject to change if the universe intervenes…or if I get arrested again.
More detailed posts later with pics from sunny California!